Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oct. 29, 1910 - Malinda O'Hara's Death Certificate

The City of New York
Health Department
STATE OF NEW YORK
CERTIFICATE AND RECORD OF DEATH
of
Malinda O’Hara
No. of Certificate: 21332
Sex: Female
Color: White
Age: 5 yrs, 6 mos
Single, Widowed, Married, or Divorced: Single
Occupation: no
Birthplace: US
How long in US (if of foreign birth): Life
How long resident in City of New York: Life
Place of Death: 527 Baltic St.
Character of Premises: Ten
Father’s Name: John O’Hara
Father’s Birthplace: Ire.
Mother’s Maiden Name: Mary King
Mother’s Birthplace: Ire
I hereby certify that I attended the deceased from Oct. 27th 1910 to Oct. 29th 1910, that I last saw her alive on the 29th day of Oct 1910, that she died on the 29th day of Oct. 1910, about 10 o’clock PM, and that, to the best of my knowledge and belief, the cause of her death was as follows:
Scarlet Fever
Acute Nephritis
Asthemia
Witness my hand this 30th day of Oct. 1910
(Signature) Eugene J. Kenny MD
(Residence) 291 Prospect Pl
Place of Burial Holy Cross
Date of Burial Oct 30 1910
Undertaker Peter Farrell & Sons
Place of Business 201 Third Av
The above is a transcription of Malinda O'Hara's death certificate. (The bolded terms are what was filled in on the form, while the unformatted font is the standard text on the form.) She died October 29, 1910, of Scarlet Fever, Nephritis (kidney failure), and Asthemia, an archaic term whose definition I'm unsure of. I was a little shaken to see that she died of Scarlet Fever; I had Scarlet Fever when I was not much older than she. I guess it's not usually fatal anymore, but it's unsettling to know that my. . .let's see, my great-great-aunt. . .died of something that I once survived. They were still living on Baltic St. at the time, as they had been mere months before when she was recorded on the 1910 census.

No comments: