Saturday, February 28, 2009

Brooklyn Daily Eagle Almanac, 1909

John Mulvaney, alderman, shows up twice in 1909's Brooklyn Daily Eagle Almanac. (I forgot to hide the links in the last post, which is why it looked so messy.) Make sure to check out both pages. He's on page 392, where he's listed as alderman for the 44th Local Improvement District, his address being 119 Pioneer St. (which, according to Google Maps, is right around the corner from where Patrick Mulvaney was living with Julia at 270 Van Brunt St). He's also on page 609, where they list how many votes he got (3,654 to the runner-up's 3,206). I'm assuming that he must have served at least two terms (each of which would have been for two years), and that maybe the 1907 and 1910 almanacs aren't digitized yet? I'll have to look into it, but since vote totals are listed in the latter of the two almanacs I've seen, I'd assume that that one was a re-election after he'd served one term.

Update: There must have been some redistricting between 1907 and 1908, because in 1907 the 44th district was in the Bronx. In 1910, some guy named Cunningham was alderman of the 44th district. It really seems that John Mulvaney's term was 1908-1909, and I simply don't understand why they listed how many votes he was elected by in the second year of his term. Why don't you check it out and see if I'm reading this right?

No comments: