Sunday, January 11, 2009

Patrick and Julia's Marriage Certificate

Certificate of Marriage
Visitation B.V.M Church
Verona and Richards Streets
Brooklyn, N.Y.
This is to Certify
That Patrick J. Mulvaney
and Julia Toner
were lawfully MARRIED
on the
9 day of April 1893
According to the Rite of the Roman Catholic Church
and in conformity with the laws of the State of New York,
Rev
. John J. Loughnan officiating, in the presence of Patrick Harrington and Catherine Higgins, Witnesses, as appears from the Marriage Register of this Church.
Dated Oct. 13-1942
Wm. Galloway ast
. Pastor

This is a transcription record of the marriage of Julia Toner and Patrick Mulvaney, April 9, 1893, at the Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Julia would have been about 21, I believe (though of course, we’ve found no evidence whatsoever of her actual birth, since her parents’ family disappears off the map in the early 1870s), and Patrick, if memory serves, about 31. This certificate itself was created in the 1940s, and I wonder why, as both Julia and Patrick were deceased at this point. I suppose one of their children needed it for something, but I can’t imagine what would require the marriage certificate of your parents. I have no idea who Patrick Harrington and Catherine Higgins were, but I’d sure like to know. We know, from this and from Auntie Mae’s baptismal certificate, that the Mulvaneys attended Visitation Church at Richards and Verona, and John Griffin has told me that the Mulcahys attended St. Mary Star of the Sea. Those are the first places I want to look when I get some more free time in the tri-state area.

No comments: