Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Auntie Mae's Baptismal Certificate

[GB 26457]
COPY OF RECORD
IN BAPTISMAL REGISTER OF
VISITATION CHURCH
RICHARDS AND VERONA STREETS, BROOKLYN, N.Y.
NAME Mary, child
OF Patrick Mulvaney AND Julia Toner
BORN Jan. 18, 1897 BAPTIZED Feb 4, 1897
SPONSORS John V. Murphy AND Rose McGuine
DATED 10-8-35
REV. Wm. Galloway
A copy of the record of Auntie Mae’s baptism. I’m not sure whether the sponsors are John V. Murphy and Rose McGuine or John D. Murphy and Rose McGuirre, or some combination thereof, but they both intrigue me. We know that the Mulvaneys had cousins, on Julia’s side, named Murphy, and we know that at one point, a McGuirre/McGuine was boarding with the family and working in the same field as Patrick. I’m not sure what the number in the upper right hand corner refers to, but it might end up being a useful reference or index number if we were at the actual church looking up records. (Which is something I ended up not being able to do this Christmas break because of a bad cold that sidelined me this last week, the week I’d planned on dedicating to wandering Brooklyn doing in-person research. Maybe next time I’m home.) The certificate was requested in 1935. I don't know when Auntie Mae was married. Could it have been 1935? She would have likely needed a record of her baptism for that - but did she marry that late, at 38?

No comments: