Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Bloggers' Geneameme

Jill at Geniaus has started another Geneameme, in honor of Australia's National Family History Month. Here's my contribution:

  1. What are the titles and URLs of your genealogy blog/s? I have this one, You Are Where You Came From, at http://whereyoucamefrom.blogspot.com/, and help my husband with his letters blog, The Gleasue Letters, at http://gleasureharberletters.blogspot.com/.
  2. Do you have a wonderful "Cousin Bait" blog story? A link to a previous blog post might answer this question. This is definitely my best Cousin Bait story: http://whereyoucamefrom.blogspot.com/2011/11/serendipity-visit-to-old-homestead.html
  3. Why did you start blogging? Is there someone who inspired you to start blogging? I started blogging to share our family history with my relatives, and this was originally a private blog for their eyes only. When I realized how little interest most of my family had in ever reading it, though, I opened it to the public and found a wider audience.
  4. How did you decide on your blog/s title/s? I heard it somewhere, or made it up, or something. I've since come to regret it - it's too much of a mouthful, but it's too late to change it.
  5. Do you ever blog from mobile devices? What are they? Nope.
  6. How do you let others know when you have published a new post? I usually share posts on Google+ these days. I occasionally share them on Facebook, if I think a post would be of interest to a larger audience than just other genealogists.
  7. How long have you been blogging? I'm approaching my 5th anniversary.
  8. What widgets or elements do you consider essential on a genealogy blog? I'm not sure I consider anything "essential" beyond the ability to post and comment.
  9. What is the purpose of your blog/s? Who is your intended audience? The real purpose is to give me a place to analyze and interpret my research in ways I might not if I didn't have an outlet/know it would be public. That, and serving as "cousin bait," of course.
  10. Which of your posts are you particularly proud of? A couple from the past couple years that I particularly enjoy are On Serendipity, and Obstinately Ignoring Conflicting Evidence, and NYC Hurricane History: A Ruinous Gale, which I wrote during last year's Hurricane Sandy.
  11. How do you keep up with your blog reading? Not well. I never got into the habit of using a feed reader, and usually keep up best with what other people share publicly, particularly on Google+.
  12. What platform do you use for publishing your blog/s? Blogger.
  13. What new features would you like to see in your blogging software? I'm not sure, I've never really given it much thought.
  14. Which of your posts has been the most popular with readers? Apparently that is also On Serendipity, and Obstinately Ignoring Conflicting Evidence.
  15. Are you a sole blogger or do you contribute to a shared blog? I'm a sole blogger, though as I said, I also help my husband with his letters blog.
  16. How do you compose your blog posts? Slowly. It takes me forever to put together a post that I think is worth publishing, especially lately.
  17. Do you have any blogs that are not genealogy related? If you wish please share their titles and URLs. I have a gardening blog called How Does Your Urban Garden Grow? at http://howdoesyoururbangardengrow.blogspot.com/
  18. Have you listed your blog/s at Geneabloggers? Yes.
  19. Which resources have helped you with your blogging? I'm sure there are many, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.
  20. What advice would you give to a new Geneablogger? Just keep writing. Even if you go through a slump - I've been through many - there's no reason not to pick back up again when you do have the time or the inclination to write.

1 comment:

GeniAus said...

Kathleen, I am so glad you made your blog public so that others can enjoy your posts.

Thank you for your contribution to the geneameme, I have really enjoyed reading your post.