Friday, October 16, 2009

January 21, 1933 - Dominick D'Ingeo's Death Certificate



This is the death certificate of Dominick/Domenico D'Ingeo, my great-great-grandfather, Grandpa's maternal grandfather, and the father of Grandma Gatto, Maria D'Ingeo Gatto. He's listed as 70 years old, widowed, and a gardener. [Grandpa's always told me his grandfather was a gardener.] He was born in Italy and says he's been in the United States for 15 years - which gives him an arrival date of around 1918; his actual immigration was in 1917. [I love when they get the numbers right like that. It's such a relief to have relatives who can add!]

His Italian-born father was named Vincent, but his mother's name is unknown.

He died Jan. 21, 1933 of shock, fractured ribs, and a hemothorax. According to the next page of the death certificate, he was hit by a car at 81 St. and 14 Ave the day prior to his death.

The undertaker was employed by the deceased's son "James" D'Ingeo. James's full name, I believe, was Vincenzo, after his grandfather. [See this message board thread for a discussion of - but no conclusion on - why so many Italian immigrants named Vincenzo were called Jimmy or James.]

Grandpa tells me he remembers his grandfather, and remembers when he died, but couldn't go to the funeral because he had the mumps at the time.

3 comments:

Gina said...

Oh gosh, I didn't know that. Wow, hit by a car, thats so terrible... but at the same time so interesting to recall.

Marie Gartshore said...

Katie - The oldest daughter would have carried her Dad's mother's first name. So that's a start. If they were meeting their daughter Rosa already in Brooklyn. She must have been the oldest daughter

Kathleen O'Hara said...

Aunt Marie,

That's a good point, and it's a somewhere to start. She was the oldest surviving daughter, but that doesn't necessarily mean she was the first born, given the infant mortality rates of the time, and the fact that I've heard that at least one of the children in the family died while they were living in S. America - I have an idea that that was a younger child, but I don't know where I got that from, so I don't know if it's reliable.